At their November meeting, members of the Mon Valley Initiative’s board of directors elected directors and officers for 2017.
Eight directors were nominated by the 10 community development corporations that participate in the MVI coalition. They are:
- Dale J. Bizub (Turtle Creek Development Corp.)
- Jeb Feldman (Braddock Economic Development Corp.)
- Alix Garlitz (Greater Charleroi Community Development Corp.)
- John Harhai (Monessen Community Development Corp.)
- Mary Carol Kennedy (East Pittsburgh Economic Development Corp.)
- Barb LaFace (Downtown West Newton, Inc.)
- Veryl Lawson (Swissvale Economic Development Corp.)
- Bill Pfoff (Rankin Community Development Corp.)
In addition, five at-large directors were nominated by the MVI board nominating committee. These are the first at-large directors in MVI’s history:
- Sharon Alberts
- Barata Bey
- Jane Flaherty
- Joseph P. Flynn Jr.
- Richard Wallace
Alberts and Bey are past members of the Homestead-area Economic Revitalization Corp.; Alberts is a current member of MVI’s Community Investment Fund Committee. Flaherty and Flynn are members of MVI’s CIF committee, while Wallace is a past member of the CIF committee and a current member of MVI’s Governance Committee.
All directors were elected unanimously, by acclamation, and begin serving in January.
MVI officers for 2017 include Dale J. Bizub (chair), Mary Carol Kennedy (vice chair), Alix Garlitz (secretary) and Barb LaFace (treasurer)