The Monessen Community Development Corporation (MCDC)has been concerned about the revitalization of Monessen and begun taking steps to help improve the community over 20 years ago. MCDC continues to find ways to improve the City and it is our intention to continue to identify ways in which we can help with the revitalization efforts well into the future.
MCDC understands that restoring economic vitality to such a distressed area hinges on the people who reside and work here. We know that revitalization efforts improve dramatically when there is a strong base of organized individuals, from the community who can help in the recovery. The membership of MCDC is made up of Monessen community members like this who want to roll up their sleeves and help with the recovery, not just talk about it. MCDC is always looking for new members!
- Collaborated with the Parks Restoration Committee to make improvements at the City Park: Utilizing grant funding received from DCED, MCDC partnered with the Parks Restoration Committee to revitalize and improve the recreational and walking track area at the Monessen City Park.
- Revitalized a community tradition: In 2010 and 2011, MCDC hosted a Community Christmas day, with free breakfast with Mrs. Claus, a parade with Santa Claus, trimming the Christmas tree and singing carols. MCDC is planning the event for 2021 and welcomes input, volunteers and sponsors from throughout the community!
- MCDC remains an active member of the Mon Valley Initiative Coalition: Because of MCDC’s membership in the Mon Valley Initiative (MVI) coalition, residents of Monessen have access to workforce development services. MVI provides a trained staff person to help our residents who are unemployed or under-employed in preparing for and accessing employment opportunities that exist in the area. Also, MVI’s Housing Counseling Team provides pre-purchase housing counseling and homebuyer education in group and individual settings.
Plans for the Future
- Host a pre-purchase housing counseling workshop in the area, to educate first time home buyers on the home buying process.
- Continue to rehab key houses in Monessen for resale in the community, in partnership with the Redevelopment Authority of Monessen and Washington County.
- Work in partnership with other community organizations to leverage funding opportunities for continued revitalization efforts in the community.
- Invite new members to join MCDC who have fresh and diverse ideas.
Interested in joining us? Contact Jo Ellen Welsh at jwelsh at monvalleyinitiative dot com or 412-464-4000 x.4023 for more information.