Built in 1902 and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984, the Deniston School at the corner of McClure Avenue and Monroe Street was converted into apartments in the early 1980s, but fell into disrepair. In 2012, the last tenants were evicted and the building has been vacant since then.
With the help of Swissvale Economic Development Corp. and borough officials, Mon Valley Initiative purchased the building in 2016 using Allegheny County’s Vacant Property Recovery Program.
Following its conversion to condominiums, Deniston School — renamed the Swissvale Schoolhouse Condominiums — will answer a need for high-quality, affordable housing in the east suburbs of Pittsburgh.
Financing for the project is being provided in part by the Allegheny County Residential Finance Authority and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Community Development Block Grant program, administered by the Allegheny County Department of Economic Development.