Built in 1902 and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984, the Deniston School at the corner of McClure Avenue and Monroe Street was converted into apartments in the early 1980s, but fell into disrepair. In 2012, the last tenants were evicted and the building has been vacant since then.
With the help of Swissvale Economic Development Corp. and borough officials, Mon Valley Initiative purchased the building in 2016 using Allegheny County’s Vacant Property Recovery Program.
This approximately $3 million project by MVI has transformed the building into 18 high-quality new homes at the heart of Swissvale Borough, with easy access to the East Busway, Parkway East, Regent Square and Frick Park.
Each unit retains vintage details of the 1902 building, including decorative moldings, large windows and soaring ceilings.
Financing for the project was provided in part by the Allegheny County Residential Finance Authority and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Community Development Block Grant program, administered by the Allegheny County Department of Economic Development.