Hiring: Fiscal Specialist
Reports To: CFO
Job Classification: Full Time, Exempt
Starting Salary Range: $45,000-$50,000
Location: Homestead (position will begin 5 days on-site to transition to 3 days on-site, 2 days remote after initial training goals met)
Mon Valley Initiative is searching for a self-motivated, goal-oriented individual to support the organization’s financial and programmatic functions in order to continue and enhance MVI’s accountability, transparency, and reputation across all program areas.
The Fiscal Specialist position is a unique position that sees the entire financial and programmatic life cycle of the non-profit organization. It is an excellent opportunity to expand on current skill sets and to acquire new skills that can be immediately applied to the work performed.
This position provides a high level of support to MVI’s administrative team and program areas, as directed by the CFO, from an accounting, finance and compliance standpoint. This position will be the lead for the organization’s accounts payable and accounts receivable functions.
This position assists the CFO directly with the month-end and year-end closing of the financial records by preparing and posting assigned journal entries. Annually, the Fiscal Specialist will gather and organize information prior to and during independent organizational and program audits.
The Fiscal Specialist will also play a supportive role to the CFO and Senior Fiscal Specialist in the following areas, as needed:
- Preparation of monthly reports summarizing MVI’s financial activity.
- Budget preparation
- Tracking insurance coverage for MVI and the organization’s real estate development properties.
- Reporting for grant proposals and progress reports.
- Self-motivated problem-solver who demonstrates strong initiative by coming with suggested solutions to challenges.
- Ability to exercise sound business judgment, and perform without close supervision.
- Intellectually curious; strives to develop new skills and deeper levels of understanding.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to work well with people of various backgrounds, abilities and interests in a positive and cooperative style of work.
- Ability to prioritize and organize work, perform duties with accuracy, and meet deadlines.
- Shares information and encourages learning among others.
- Ability to recognize and handle confidential information appropriately
- While a college/associate’s degree in accounting or business is preferred, any relevant, significant industry experience alongside any other degree will be considered
- Relevant non-profit organization experience, with an emphasis on accounting, finance, and contract compliance.
- Working knowledge of accounting software (preferably Sage), database software (preferably Salesforce), Excel and Word.
- Working knowledge of accounting principles.
- Successful experience in a fast-paced, high-performance team environment.
- Familiarity with real estate development accounting practices is a plus
- Internal audit experience (e.g., contract compliance, internal controls, accounting practices) is a plus
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including evenings and occasional weekends.
- Full-time access to a vehicle with valid driver’s license and car insurance.
- Position includes frequent standing, walking, verbal communications, including telephone contact, and travel between facilities.*
Send your resume and cover letter to Tricia Forsythe at email@example.com.
*The physical demands prescribed here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mon Valley Initiative is an equal-opportunity employer.