Hiring: Real Estate Construction Manager
TITLE: Real Estate Construction Manager
DEPARTMENT: Real Estate & Community Development
SUPERVISOR: Director of Real Estate Development
- To provide technical support to implement Mon Valley Initiative’s regional real estate development strategy associated with the development of housing rehabilitation programs, new construction projects and ongoing maintenance of rental housing and commercial units.
- To provide benefits to low-to-moderate income residents by encouraging the provision of affordable housing and employment opportunities and by removing blight in residential and business districts.
- To assist in the development of projects that maintain and enhance the residential, commercial and industrial character of the Mon Valley to implement the goals of MVI.
- To assist in the development of projects which complement other public and private sector initiatives that bring additional resources to the Mon Valley.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assess the building feasibility of all potential sites as directed by MVI management in conjunction with the MVI Board and relevant committees.
- Develop preliminary construction cost estimates and construction specifications as needed for budget preparation and project planning.
- Prepare construction tasks schedule/flow chart as part of project assessment and project management.
- Establish and monitor contractor bidding process and advise MVI management on the results, with comparative analysis and recommendations on validity of bids.
- Research and contact potential new contractors and sub-contractors, particularly minority/ women/disadvantaged businesses to ensure that MVI can obtain a depth and variety of bidders on projects as needed.
- Draft construction contracts and assure that all necessary permits are signed and are in good order.
- Advise MVI management in conjunction with relevant local stakeholders on material selection.
- Monitor the ongoing work of contractors and other consultants and advise MVI management, other involved MVI staff, MVI Board and relevant committees, and local stakeholders on progress, problems and other issues associated with the construction.
- Approve construction draw requests and draft the appropriate documents related to construction draws, in close cooperation with assigned project manager and fiscal staff.
- Inspect and assure that all construction work is completed in a timely manner and is of top quality.
- Develop and ensure completion of construction punch lists.
- Work closely with contractors and project consultants, MVI project managers, senior management, the MVI Board and relevant committees, and local stakeholders through all phases of the construction process. This includes providing clear and consistent communication and responsiveness to input from stakeholders.
- As assigned, provide on-call coverage for MVI property maintenance issues and coordinate responses as needed with third party contracted for after-hours emergency issues.
- As assigned, assist with minor repairs and maintenance items on MVI offices and other real estate owned.
- As assigned, assist the coordination and implementation of volunteer work days at various properties in MVI’s real estate portfolio.
- Advise MVI management, Board and relevant committees on various development issues, including lead abatement problems and opportunities.
- Provide monthly detailed written portfolio reports on progress of current construction projects monthly.
- Maintain thorough and organized project notes and documents with support from the assigned project managers and fiscal staff to ensure audit compliance.
- Participate in MVI team meetings and organizational events as assigned.
- Complete a written review of job accomplishments and goals annually in conjunction with supervisor’s input and evaluation.
- Ability to read, understand, and create working drawings.
- Ability to write contractors Scope of Work and Specifications for residential and commercial projects.
- Ability to estimate pre-development construction costs relating to residential and commercial projects.
- Ability to manage multiple construction projects; solve construction problems/issues and meet deadlines.
- Ability to understand and ensure that all building codes are met.
- Ability to work with contractors and their employees in an appropriate manner to complete projects.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to relate well to a wide variety of people, local stakeholders, contractors, staff, etc.
- Team player who demonstrates positive, cooperative work style with all MVI colleagues.
- Organized, self-motivated, creative, and supportive.
- Strives to develop new skills while maintaining present skills.
- Shares information and encourages learning among others.
- Enthusiasm, innovation, optimism, persistence, patience and pragmatism.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Related degree or comparable experience in construction trades.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including evenings and occasional weekends
- Full-time access to a vehicle
- Valid driver’s license
- Appropriate car insurance
- Position includes frequent standing, walking, verbal communications, including telephone contact, and travel between facilities.*
Send your resume to Tricia Forsythe at firstname.lastname@example.org or 305 E. 8th Ave., Homestead, PA 15120.
*The physical demands prescribed here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.